What in the World is an Huemul?!

18 December 2010 13:14 Rambling by: Shae
I know I've been slacking on the posts, but things at the office have picked up and I have been incredibly busy with work. Which has been a great thing! We're putting together some awesome stuff, such as the Huemul Conservation Project. We finally have a Facebook page up (that I created). Before I begin my story about our great trek through Torres del Paine, I want to let you know a little about a great thing we're putting together:

So, what in the world is an Huemul?! Well... the Huemul is a national symbol of Chile and it is under threat of extinction. So we need your help to save them! Here's a little more info about them:

"A critically endangered member of the deer species, the Huemul exists now in only a few small pockets of Chile. It is in the classic extinction spiral, marked by increasingly small, isolated populations, and action is needed now to prevent it from disappearing off the face of the Earth.

"Little is known about their population status in Peninsula Brunswick other than the fact that they exist, something that has been proven by competitor sightings in past editions of the Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race."

Save the mommy and the baby Huemuls!

Here's what we're doing:

"The WENGER PATAGONIAN EXPEDITION RACE® Project 2011 aims to raise US$20,000 to enable scientists to undertake a field trip in March 2011 where they will track, log, and monitor the Huemul population in the Peninsular Brunswick region." So please, "Like" the Facebook page "Huemul Conservation Project" this is the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huemul-Conservation-Project/136691836389639?v=wall

Also please, if you have the means, donate to the cause through the website PatagonianExpedition.com here is the link: http://www.patagonianexpeditionrace.com/en/donate.php

$1 can go a long way! I'm going to leave you hanging for the rest of our trekking story once again. Promise I'll have a new post about it very soon! Trek on.

*All content came from "The Huemul Conservation" Facebook page.

0 Response to "What in the World is an Huemul?!"

Post a Comment