Lost in Translation

02 December 2010 22:50 Rambling by: Shae
I'm in Punta Arenas. Finally! I was in the airport from 8:00 to 15:00 in Santiago. Way too long for a layover. By the time I got on the plane to Punta Arenas my ear was about to explode and getting on the 3.5 hour flight was not fun. I wanted to bang my head on the wall because I was in so much pain. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy... When I got to Punta Arenas I was greeted by a short, stout Chilean man with a striped sweater holding a piece of printed paper that said, "Senorita Shae Rossetti." He spoke no English and of course my Spanish is horrible. We just laughed at each other the entire ride from the airport to the Nomadas house. The car was a piece itself! My seat had no seat belt and the car would barely run. Needless to say, I was a bit nervous when I first arrived. The worst case scenarios were going through my head.

We pulled up to this broken down neighborhood (it all looks a little broken down though), and I was still a little sketched out about the entire thing. Thank God, as soon as I got out of the car with my luggage two of my housemates/co-workers came running through and asked if I was Shae. I cannot tell you how relieved I was to know that I was in the right spot and the job was legit.

I walked into the small house and it reminded me of my first apartment (who my cousin and I named Dorothy, because it looks like it fell from the sky.), but it has a lot of personality. I like it. The girls and guys have different rooms. We're in bunk beds of course. We have a kitchen and a living room, but just one bathroom. It's interesting sharing one bathroom with 6 other people. During the race season we might have 10 people living in the little house with us. First come first serve! We all call the beds we originally have! We're about 2 blocks from the freezing cold beach and massive new skate park. (I'll have pictures soon.) I'm living with 7 other people. 6 Americans and 1 Frenchman. Another French guy is on his way soon. Everyone is so chill. It's going to be a lot of fun. I'm so glad that I decided to go through with this. 3 months with this crew is going to be sick! 

But for now I'm going to enjoy my first meal of Nutella and strawberry toast with the local brew Cerveza Austral. Here's a pic of Punta Arenas, close to where I'm living:

1 Response to "Lost in Translation"

  1. Unknown Says:

    The adjustment stage. The most awkwardly fun period of ur trip lol. I can't wait to hear what happens next!

Post a Comment