Casa Amarilla y Huemuls

06 December 2010 22:32 Rambling by: Shae
Life in Punta Arenas is slow paced and very nice. Everyone that I am living with are all so relaxed and laid back. We all get along very well and share the same passion about exploring. I never thought that I would find such a large group of people who shared the same passions in life as I did. It's pretty awesome to be apart of our Nomadas group.

So far we haven't had many problems with 7 people living in a small 2 bed 1 bath house. The only issue we have is when we all need to use the kitchen, oddly enough the bathroom is not the problem. (Picture of Casa Amariila is below.) It doesn't get dark here until 23:00 and totally throws off sleeping schedules. We work at Nomadas' office from 9 to 19:00, but usually get about a 2 hour lunch and socialize with the rest of the employees. Being at the office that long isn't bad at all, because we all enjoy each others company (I'm sure that will change after about a month when it gets closer to the race and everything becomes hectic).

The internet here goes out sometimes because the wind is just so harsh. Speaking of wind, we went to go see penguins at Seno Otway. The wind was so intense that sometimes we would have to grab onto the ropes on the side (picture below) just to walk straight and keep our balance. At first we couldn't stop cracking up because it was just so funny watching everyone's reaction to it. I've never experienced such intense wind before in my life. The penguins were so cute and they would waddle away from everyone. It was a blast going to see them and very much worth the $30+ dollars we spent to go see them. (Picture of the penguins is below as well.)

Like I said before... or maybe I didn't... this will probably be one of the last weeks we get to play around and explore Chile, because we will be very busy getting ready for the Patagonian Expedition Race, etc pretty soon. Including our boss (the marketing boss at least) is coming back sometime next week and the marketing team, that consists of me, Emily, William, and Jenny, will be working on a ton of different things.

This Thursday me, Leticia, Jenny, maybe Chelsea and Marta (our boss), and possible one more person that works at Nomadas will be hiking the Torres Del Paine and will be back on Sunday in Punta Arenas, after we go see a glacier. I'm really excited about that. My first pretty intense hike in Patagonia.

Before I leave you again, I want to leave you with this:
My job at Nomadas, at least for this week, is to create some social network pages, like a facebook page, flyers, and other things for the Patagonian Huemul (of course this will be through Nomadas). The huemul is the national animal of Chile and they are going extinct. We are trying to raise awareness, as well as $20,000, to begin research on the huemuls to save them from extinction and to hopefully populate Chile's region with them once again. I will hopefully have the facebook page up and running sometime this week. I will post it on the blog and my facebook. Please "like it" and if you have the means and read more about the huemul, please click on the link that will take you to the nomadas page and donate money towards saving the huemuls via Pay-Pal! Thank you all! Salve los huemuls!!

















(Me & Chelsea hanging onto the ropes because of the wind.)











                            (Es Casa Amarilla!!)













                  (All of the cute penguins.)

                                             (You know you want to save the baby huemuls!)
                                                                 (I created this within 5 min...not so hot, I know)

2 Response to "Casa Amarilla y Huemuls"

  1. Unknown Says:

    When I saw the pics on ur FB I thought u guys were joking about holding on to the ropes with that wind. It's like that?! lol stay grounded!

  2. Shae Says:

    We were joking! But sometimes we would grab onto the ropes. Lol

Post a Comment