Working on a Sunday?! Sure Why Not.

02 February 2011 21:56 Rambling by: Shae
It's official. This will be my last post until I get back from the Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race. Apparently this years course is going to be the most intense race course ever! Which makes me super excited that I get to be apart of it. So I will be off of the social media radar until February 20th or maybe even later than that. I, and the rest of the WPER team, will be transported to different checkpoints throughout the race and placed there until the racers pass through. I'll most likely be placed at remote HQ (out in the race course) because I have to manage the WPER website and load info, pictures, etc. that come in from the race in real time. The race lasts for 10 days, give or take a few, because of the unpredictable weather that happens out in Patagonia. So on to the story...


The race is almost here. Work is insane, meetings are now being held on Saturday mornings… and we are also working on Sundays. This past Friday was our last party and we had a meeting the next morning at 10. Saturdays meeting consisted of all us interns, volunteers, and Chilean staff dragging ourselves into the office at 10 am clearly all about to fall asleep from the previous night's activities (held at Casa Amarilla). When we woke up, our house smelled quite interesting… Sticky floors, table tops, and the occasional mess in the bathroom from God knows who, was the aftermath. It was clearly a good… err GREAT time and will be the last party we will have until the race. There is just no time and people aren't coming home from work until 1:30 am or throughout the night. AKA: I was in a meeting on Monday night from 22:30 until 1:00 am. We stay tired. Go to bed tired. Wake up tired. Sleeping in a tent in Patagonia for over a week might actually be relaxing at this point, even though we'll be running around checkpoints like wild people. At least we'll be away from the computer... somewhat.


Any ways, the mess was completely worth it. Fiestas en Casa Amarilla son tan divertido! Always a blast and usually includes Spanish music and tons of dancing, like salsa. The other night we introduced the game "Flip Cup" to the Chileans and our French friends (who said they had played before… Needless to say, they kind of sucked.). The festivities lasted until the wee hours of the morning. Some even went out to the disco's after, which was at 4 or 5 a.m. I do not know how they do it… Some pics of our Party at Casa Amarilla - a.k.a. Fiesta Fiesta below:

(Some of the WPER Crew)

(Pepa, me, Crystolball, and Melissa!)
 (Marioly and me)
(Some of the Crew!)


Volunteers have flooded into the office throughout the weekend, racers are also arriving throughout the weekend and will continue to arrive throughout the week. The race starts on the 8th, so I had to recently buy a pair of rain pants for the race, because when the exploration crew left to go check out the race course they had plotted, it constantly rained and the course was very wet. I was told it was a smart investment, including I don't have a pair at home. It'll be nice to have when I head back out to the Parque Nacional Torres Del Paine to hike the "W" with my best friend R.J. for 6 days. Oh, and me dropping in randomly to go hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail with R.J. (who is hiking the entire A.T. starting in March after he goes back to the states from visiting me in Patagonia) as well. Rain pants = Perf buy mayne.


I think we are all overly excited to get out of the office and finally into the untouched, virgin lands of Patagonia. My reason: literally on Thursday, January 27th my boss called a meeting and said, "Okay, Shae's in charge of this project and I need everyone to brainstorm about an iPhone app for the Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race." Great, I have been given the task of creating an iPhone Application for the race. It's supposed to be out the 2nd or 3rd of February. Insane, I know. I am working very closely with a company, based out of Santiago, Chile, and we are in the process of making it. So everyone with an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, or iSomething should all download the new Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race Application! I cannot wait to stop answering e-mails and sitting on my butt in an office. Although I do love what I do, I would rather be out in the wilderness exploring and being what my mom calls a "Granola Girl."


What can I say, I'm a nomad at heart… and I'm actually starting to become terrified of going back home into the states. I have become so accustomed to life down here in Punta Arenas. Living off of the worst quality fruit, avocado on everything, powdered soup, TONS of freshly baked bread, lots of lentil soup, walking everywhere, somewhat being able to finally understand the Spanish language, living in odd uncomfortable conditions (which has become comfortable now), and living 8-12 deep in a tiny shack house. It's going to be a culture shock to move back to the U.S. Funny thing is...  the other day my boss asked me to extend my stay here in Punta Arenas with the Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race. Sorry family, I love you, but my true calling to travel the world and live in odd, remote places beckons and is constantly calling my name.
Until next time… Trek on.

1 Response to "Working on a Sunday?! Sure Why Not."

  1. Michelle Says:

    HAVE FUN!!!

Post a Comment