MAGALLANES DICE NO!

17 January 2011 10:49 Rambling by: Shae
(The Magallanes Region flag, turned black for the protest)
The region in Chile that I am living in, called the Magallanes (pronounced: Ma-gah-yan-es, kind of like margaritas) has been on a strike for a little over a week now.  Why are they on strike you ask? Well… gas prices have been risen to a whooping 20%. This, of course, has completely ticked the Chileans off. I don't blame them one bit. So they decided to actually do something about it. *United States, take notes please.*

The ENTIRE town of Punta Arenas is basically shut down. Grocery stores, restaurants, malls, bars, taxis, etc. all closed, not running. Barricades, some made of tires and then caught on fire, others of massive 18-wheelers blocking roads, have been made so that no one can get into Punta Arenas and no one can get out. This includes blocking off all access roads that come into Punta Arenas. There is one, in particular, that is blocking off any and all traffic from the airport. People are having to suck it up and hike it, with their luggage, a strenuous distance from the airport to the barricade, where they can finally get picked up or offered a ride by some of the nice locals. The piers have also been barricaded, so boats cannot dock or leave… well so I have heard. Everyday huge protests have been held, not too far from Casa Amarilla (the house I live in). Cars are being driven around (odd, for a gas crisis, I know) waving black flags… errr… trash bags in the form of flags, honking down the street while people yell, chant, and cheer. Sometimes this has gone on late through the night. Only the first night did it get really out of control and 2 were killed. May God be with the families of those victims.

(Protest, only blocks away from my house)
(I think this translates to something like: We are very uncomfortable in the shelter.)
Why is this such a big deal? I live in the most southern city in the world. Therefore, everything is imported to us from somewhere. This includes food and goods. The mayor said something like, "Gas is like water to us. It's a necessity. We NEED it to survive." It's true. The Chilean people need gas to survive here. If you look at a map, Punta Arenas/the Magallanes region is very far from the rest of civilization. Things need to be imported here and people need to get to work that's far away from their homes. Gas is not only being used for the cars here, but is also used a main heating source. And if you don't know, we are kind of close to Antarctica. It's freaking cold! We are running the GAS heater at 80 degrees most of the time 24/7 around this place. Oh, have I mentioned that it's summer here?! We also use a GAS stove to cook with. It's a necessity, not a luxury here. I'm impressed that the Chileans have the guts to actually say no and shut down an entire town to make a statement. Unfortunately for us, after almost a little over a week, we are officially having a food crisis. The grocery stores are all closed, thank God that on January 16th, they opened the Uni Marts and some other places for a few hours so that people could stock up on the little food that we have left in the city. By the way, our gym is open! I joined it. Go me. What a convenient way to lose weight: food shortage/grocery stores aren't open, but the gym is! I find that quite humorous. 

(Protest down the street)
Here are a few photos, courtesy of our new Chilean flatmate, Fran, who speaks NO English. Our relationship is pretty funny and she has helped me improve my Spanish skills within the week she has been here. We have also added to the crew a new Frenchy, his name is Arnaud (I am still having trouble pronouncing his name), as well as a new American (from Portland, Oregon!!), her name is Melissa. Yet again, we have gotten lucky and the new people fit in perfect. We all still get along great! So the new addition is a success... only problem: We are now averaging 10 deep in the one bathroom, 2 bedroom, small living room house and have one more guy arriving sometime within the next week or so to move in with us. It's a bit crowded and we are running out of seats in Casa Amarilla. Any ways, here are the pics as promised:


(Bands have been playing during the protests)

(I think these say: Don't raise gas prices!)

(Sunset isn't until 11, maybe 10:30 at night. This is how long the protests last.)

(Everyone headed to rally up!)


(Peaceful enough, the kids get in on the protesting. You go kiddos!)



(I am too lazy to translate what this banner says... sorry guys. Hit up the Google Translater if you want.)

(Black balloons and flags. Love it.)


(This made me giggle.)

(Maybe means: Pinera as you are an entrepreneur bind to Argentina would do us a favor.)

 So America, what are YOU going to do about the recent, rising gas prices I have been hearing about? Are you just going to complain about the prices and then fork out $5 for a gallon of gas like usual? That's completely counterproductive, don't you think? But then again, America's protests usually get out of control and violent... maybe sitting back and doing nothing is all you can do. Or is it? Until next time. Trek on.

4 Response to "MAGALLANES DICE NO!"

  1. Michelle Says:

    That is craaazy!! Definately be careful. Lovin the trash bag flags, atleast they use what they got!

  2. Shae Says:

    I know! It's been insane! I am officially out of food as of tonight. HA. It's awesome how peaceful they are with the protest, besides the first nights accidents.

  3. Katie @ Yankee and Peach Says:

    Amazing photographs -- and amazing that you are right in the middle of it!
    Stay safe and have fun! (ha... i really don't need to tell you that.) =O)

  4. Shae Says:

    Thank you! :) A friend provided most of them for me. Thought I would report that the strike is officially over! And the government only raised it 3%. The Chileans know how to get their way!

Post a Comment