Let the Count Down Begin

02 November 2010 21:46 Rambling by: Shae
It's official. I'm leaving for Punta Arenas, Chile November 21st. So I guess the countdown begins. I've got to admit that I am soo unprepared for this whole thing. I've gotten a few essentials... like an internal framed backpack (It's basically awesome) for when I go explore the Patagonian Mountains, a new North Face jacket, and some little things here and there... I'm starting to realize that I have no clue what I've gotten myself into. Right now it's supposedly Spring time in Punta Arenas, but I was warned that all in one day it can be rainy, windy, freezing, and then all of a sudden warm and sunny. Thank God there are stores down there that I can go shopping at for the things that I will need. Knowing me, I am bound to forget something really important, which reminds me... I need to look for my Passport.

So on the 21st of this month I'll head to Santiago, Chile. Either my mom or dad will be working on the flight to see me off. How sweet is that? My biggest fear is getting completely lost in translation when I'm transferring to the little nothing of a flight from Santiago to Punta Arenas. If it's anything like the airport when I went to Bogota, Colombia (South America) last November, then I need to start brushing up on my Spanish ASAP. My cousin and I were the only white girls in the entire airport (and surprisingly there were a ton of Asians there too. So odd...). I'm so lucky I was with my cousin, Debbie, who has amazing Spanish skills and we got to our next destination with no problems.

I've had a few people ask me what I'm going to do about school while I'm down there. So I figured I would share the fact that the Art Institute offers online courses, which I'm taking. So I'll be able to graduate on time! Woo hoo! For those who know about my graduation date problem, you all know how much of a big deal it is for me to be graduating this summer, because the AI in California were trying to hold back my graduation date till August 2012. I was soo not having that. So finally I found a solution and will be graduating at the end of this summer, fingers crossed!

I've also done a little bit more research on Punta Arenas and it's just gotten me even more excited to go explore Patagonia on my time off from working at the office. We get weekends off but I'm not allowed out of the country or any kind of vaca time for 3 months. Apparently there are penguins everywhere. It's an odd thing for me to be excited about, but penguins are just so awkward. I love it. I'll leave you with a few pictures that have inspired me to start planning a camping trip or even just a day hiking in the Mountains while I'm there. With that thought... I think someone should fly down to Chile while I'm there and head out to do some sea kayaking with me ;)


This is most definitely on the top of my to do list.

I would love to wake up to this one morning. How awesome?!

0 Response to "Let the Count Down Begin"

Post a Comment