I have literally lived from coast-to-coast. I mostly grew up in Georgia, but have traveled all of my life, thanks to both of my parents who work for Delta Airlines as Flight Attendants. In June 2010 I decided to move from Atlanta, Georgia to follow my dreams of living in Southern California, finishing my last year of college, and hopefully landing a job with one of the many surfing companies that are located there. I quit my job as the Account Planner at the marketing company I was working for, transferred from the Art Institute of Atlanta to the Art Institute of California-Orange County, and was on my way to move to Huntington Beach, California. That lasted all of 4 months. I would still be there if it weren't for being offered the internship that I just couldn't pass up.
Like I said, I've called Georgia and just recently, California, my home, but in November I will be calling Punta Arenas, Chile my home for about 3 1/2 months. I've moved out of California because I was offered an internship with Nomadas Outdoor Services in Punta Arenas, Chile. After I took the job I got a call from Surfline Magazine asking if I would like to become part of the design team... I turned them down. Who can say they lived in Chilean Patagonia?! Yes, Chile, as in South America. [Here's the website about the company I'll be working with if you want to know more: http://www.nomadas.cl/] I'll be working on their marketing team for the Patagonian Expedition Race and no, not for Patagonia, the company, Patagonia as in the actual place in Chile. However, I will be working indirectly with Wenger (I'm pretty sure it's the same company that makes Swiss watchs.) When I was contacted and congratulated on landing the internship by the people at Nomadas, I was told, "We look forward to you joining us at the end of the world." My first thoughts were, "Haha yeahhh, that's a little intimidating. I'll be at the end of the world so far away from friends and family." But honestly, how awesome is that? Of all the people I know, who can say they lived in the Southern most city of the world? Yeah... a ton of my friends have lived in Italy and all over Europe to study abroad, but never in South America. You can basically throw a rock at the Antarctic Islands... well, at least that's what my mema says. She's clearly over exaggerating. The islands are actually pretty far off, but Punta Arenas definitely gets hit by the nice, harsh winds of the Antarctic. Everything is extreme there, the weather, the food, the people, nature...
So... I figured, since I'll have no phone and so many people back home have asked me to keep them updated on life down here, I would keep a blog. No, I won't be where the miners were buried alive but I do think the Yeti lives somewhere in the Patagonian Mountains, as well as a few other "Patagonian Monsters." (patagoniamonsters.blogspot.com) <-- That'll give you a nice little giggle. But for now, enjoy the pictures and stories of Punta Arenas, Chile and some of Patagonia!
Like I said, I've called Georgia and just recently, California, my home, but in November I will be calling Punta Arenas, Chile my home for about 3 1/2 months. I've moved out of California because I was offered an internship with Nomadas Outdoor Services in Punta Arenas, Chile. After I took the job I got a call from Surfline Magazine asking if I would like to become part of the design team... I turned them down. Who can say they lived in Chilean Patagonia?! Yes, Chile, as in South America. [Here's the website about the company I'll be working with if you want to know more: http://www.nomadas.cl/] I'll be working on their marketing team for the Patagonian Expedition Race and no, not for Patagonia, the company, Patagonia as in the actual place in Chile. However, I will be working indirectly with Wenger (I'm pretty sure it's the same company that makes Swiss watchs.) When I was contacted and congratulated on landing the internship by the people at Nomadas, I was told, "We look forward to you joining us at the end of the world." My first thoughts were, "Haha yeahhh, that's a little intimidating. I'll be at the end of the world so far away from friends and family." But honestly, how awesome is that? Of all the people I know, who can say they lived in the Southern most city of the world? Yeah... a ton of my friends have lived in Italy and all over Europe to study abroad, but never in South America. You can basically throw a rock at the Antarctic Islands... well, at least that's what my mema says. She's clearly over exaggerating. The islands are actually pretty far off, but Punta Arenas definitely gets hit by the nice, harsh winds of the Antarctic. Everything is extreme there, the weather, the food, the people, nature...
So... I figured, since I'll have no phone and so many people back home have asked me to keep them updated on life down here, I would keep a blog. No, I won't be where the miners were buried alive but I do think the Yeti lives somewhere in the Patagonian Mountains, as well as a few other "Patagonian Monsters." (patagoniamonsters.blogspot.com) <-- That'll give you a nice little giggle. But for now, enjoy the pictures and stories of Punta Arenas, Chile and some of Patagonia!


October 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Shae,
I pray God will keep you safe and give you strength and and open heart for the adventure you are on. Remember, "He is always with you, even unto the ends of the Earth."
Love,
Mr. Jim
October 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM
Thank you so much! I feel that the quote you wrote is very appropriate for my travels. See you Sunday!